It's not what we Say - It's What we DO - Day by Day...
- R. J. Rubis

Friday, February 01, 2008

Writing with the Door Closed

I became a Dad a few months ago. Although this event was not entirely unanticipated (we had tried for three years), when it did happen, it took me almost completely by surprise. Suddenlly, every routine I had established over a lifetime of childless adulthood was turned on its ear. The first to go, it seemed was the writing regimen I had established only two years ago. Luckily, by the time my son made his appearance, I had my first book (Mai Shangri-La) "in the can", so to speak, and my second book at what I estimated was 70% complete.

So much for good intentions. In the seven months since Jr.'s birth, I have completed the first draft of the second book ("The Wayback Machine"), but the second draft rewrite has languished - and my marketing efforts have pretty much dried up on Mai Shangri-La.

"Too long for a first novel," said one publisher. "Too complicated," said one prospective agent. "The flashback technique isn't compelling," said another. "Not my kind of book," said a third, although I HAD carefully (I thought) researched the market to match potential agents with my genre and writing style.

And so, I find myself now with TWO completed manuscripts, and, at the moment, nothing in the way of a really promising publishing prospect in the works. This begs the question, "Should I launch the new book that's been simmering away on the back burner ever since I was halfway through Mai Shangri-La, or should I concentrate on getting something into print to confirm my belief that make the break into the publishing world will, ultimately be achievable.

I'm not a whiner by nature, but if anyone was ever to read this post who can offer a new, sure-fire suggestion for making that first big break, I"m all ears....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I have three (count 'em) three manuscripts that are, shall we say, languishing. One of them didn't make the cut on Amazon, either, but it sounds like they rejected a lot of good ones, I'm not too bummed out.

Congratulations on fatherhood. My kids are now young adults and I can't blame them for not writing.