It's not what we Say - It's What we DO - Day by Day...
- R. J. Rubis

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Why Did I Write "Mai Shangri-La"?

Four Big Reasons...
  1. I've always wanted to be a writer (haven't we all?)
  2. I'm getting increasingly concerned about the future of the planet - and need to find something I can do that might influence more than just the kids I teach to do the right thing
  3. I'm still healthy, involved in my life, and planning to live to 100 (even without dramatic life-extension intervention as seen by some futurists). I've got a vested interest in trying to make a difference for the future
  4. At 54 (when I launched the book), I was about to become an official "senior" in some circles, and mandatory retirement is beginning to loom large. I need a second career; something engaging, challenging, meaninful - and hopefully at least somewhat remunerative. My overseas teaching "provident fund" (no pension plan) is not going to allow me to live the lifestyle to which I've become accustomed...
  5. Although he was not a factor when I wrote the book, now that I'm trying to market it, my nine-month old son IS. He needs a stable family and a secure future. "Mai Shangri-La" for Reuben James could help finance "Shangri-La North" (my retirement place in northern BC) for my son.
...details coming soon...

No comments: